If you’re looking to get involved with geriatric health within the Montreal community, then look no further! Check out our list of volunteering opportunities and get in contact with us if you want further information or have any questions or concerns.
If you are interested in any of our sites, feel free to contact our VP Volunteer Coordinator, Samantha, at email@example.com and she will provide contact information for each site!
- Donald Berman Maimonides Geriatric Centre
- CHSLD Providence-Saint-Joseph
- Jewish Eldercare
- St. Margaret’s Residential Center and St. Margaret Day Center
1. Donald Berman Maimonides Geriatric Centre
Location: 5795 Caldwell, Montreal, (Quebec) H4W 1W3
We have an update for those interested in volunteering at Donald Berman Maimonides! The volunteer services coordinator of Donald Berman, Patti Derstenfeld, will be starting virtual interviews with new volunteers soon. This list below highlights some opportunities at Donald Berman Maimonides, more will be added. If any of these placements interest you, please check out the Volunteer Registration Form and email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Placements will include:
- Welcome volunteer
- Dining Assistance (feeding residents- training provided)
- Resident / caregiver
- Satisfaction Survey
- 1-on -1 games with residents
- Mobile Library Volunteer
- Saturday Afternoon Bingo
- Breakfast Club
- Art therapy
- Bead Buddies group (Art Therapy)
- Readers (Read to residents, 1x per weak for up to 2 hours)
- Volunteer Visiting (Buddy program)
- Rehab (these placements will be finalized by the end of this week)
- Pet Visiting (If you have a lovable pet, you can visit together in residents’ rooms minimum 1x weekly 1-2 hours)
- Dental Clinics (1 morning 1x a month)
- Assisting residents at mealtime (1-2 hours per meal at least 2x weekly, training provided)
- Administer Resident Experience Survey using interview skills and technology (flexible days and times, training provided)
- Assist Rehab Educator with Exercise programs
- Data entry for wheelchair database throughout the CIUSSS West Central Montreal
- Bring residents to Synagogue Services
If you have placement specific questions you can contact Patti Derstenfeld, the volunteer services coordinator of Donald Berman Maimonides at email@example.com or 514-483-2121 ext 2213.
2. CHSLD Providence-Saint-Joseph
Location: 5605 Beaubien Street East Montreal (Quebec) H1T 1X4.
He was a completely independent, 70 year old retired accountant until he had a stroke a few months ago. Unfortunately, it has affected his speech and paralyzed on his right side, so he is now in a wheelchair. He is completely cognitively intact which makes it quite difficult for him to adapt to his situation and also being in a residence. He is Lebanese, loves sports and music and is very sociable.
He is currently at a residence CHSLD Providence–Saint-Joseph Inc. The address is 5605 Beaubien Street East Montreal (Quebec) H1T 1X4. Please let Aileen know at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to volunteer for this wonderful man.
If you have specific questions you can contact Aileen at email@example.com You can also check out the work she does @joyful_connections on Instagram.
3. Jewish Eldercare
Location: 5725 Victoria Avenue, Montreal, QC H3W 3H6
Approx. Time Commitment: A minimum commitment of 1-2 hours a week for a minimum of 3 months (breaks for holidays and reading week are not a problem)
- Volunteers will be assisting with recreation activities
- Volunteering is in person, there is no remote/virtual volunteering
- Recruitment is on-going throughout the year
- Must be fully vaccinated with proof
- You will need to contact Lisa if you are interested (please email Samantha for her contact information)
- The Father Dowd site on Hudson street in Cote des Neiges
- The Henri Bradet site at Bessborough, in NDG.
Approx. Time Commitment: Commitment of a minimum of 3-6 months (preferably 6) of regular volunteer work
- Volunteers will be assisting with recreational activities and friendly visiting (1-2 residents for weekly visit per volunteer)
- Must be fully vaccinated with proof.
- Interested applicants will have an interview, Volunteer orientation and Training sessions (90 min), and forms to fill (listed below).
- You will need to contact Wendy if you are interested (please email Samantha for her contact information)
Once you are placed, you will be required to complete a brief Safety Training (PPE) and sign a form Confirmation fo Safety document
What will be required in terms of documentation are the following:
- Volunteer Inscription form
- Judicial Records Declaration
- Confidentiality Agreement
- Covid Consent form
Documents can be downloaded from: CHSLD Required Documents
- The Glen site by Vendôme station
- The Montreal General Hospital site
Approx. Time Commitment: 50 hours over the entire course of volunteering (can be spread out) – with a weekly shift of 3-4 hours
The MUHC are currently needing volunteers in the following programs:
- Coffee cart (volunteers visit patients on the medical floor offering coffee & tea)
- Comfort cart (volunteers offer items such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc to the patients on the floor)
- Volunteer at the Wayfinding program (providing directions/information at the front entrances)
- Volunteer at Clinic programs (direct patients within an assigned clinic)
- Must fill out this application form:
- Must be fully vaccinated (3 doses)
- Must speak English and know some basic French
- If you are interested in volunteering at the MGH, send the application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are interested in volunteering at the RVH (GLEN SITE), send application to: email@example.com
- Interested applicants will be contacted for an interview and be placed in a program to have an orientation as well as training
- You will need to contact the MUHC volunteer department (please email Samantha for contact information)
6. St. Margaret’s Residential Center, St Margaret Day Center
St Margaret Day Center and Residential Center: 50 Av. Hillside, Westmount, QC H3Z 3E4
Volunteers must fill out these documents:
7. Tyndale St. Georges Community Center The Tyndale St-Georges Community Centre needs volunteers to help with the following:
- art therapy
- computer workshops, and brain game exercises
Volunteers interested in Tyndale St-Georges Community Centre should read the document: